2013년 3월 7일 목요일

Caught in an egg



“One who wants to be born again must destroy the world. The egg is the world.”

This is a famous quote from the novel “Demian.” This novel deals with the painful growing-up process of a young boy. The boy, who spent his early years in a bright world called “home,” exposes himself to the dark world and feels sinful all the time. The boy feels conflict between the bright world and the dark world, and sometimes thinks that the dark world would be better than the bright world. The conclusion of this novel is that one must not restrict oneself to being “good” or “bad.” The black-and-white distinction of human behavior itself is wrong, and one must break through the black-and-white world in order to be born again. According to the author of this novel, people who restrict themselves to being good all the time are trapping themselves in an egg. In the novel “Demian,” most people are caught inside a stiff egg, and they are afraid to break it because the egg is their world.

I was caught inside a stiff egg for 12 years. Everything started when I was threatened by my classmate when I was in the United States. My classmate took me to a quiet place, pushed me to a red brick wall, pulled out her knife, and said “you are my toy.” Because I was only five years old, I couldn’t do anything about it. I just cried a lot and begged my classmate to let me live. She made a villain-like smile and let me free to run. I ran to my house right away, and cried for a long time in my bedroom. I couldn’t tell anything to my mother because my classmate told me that it was “a secret between you and me.”

After living a year in the United States, I returned to Korea and enrolled in an elementary school. When I saw many kids packed in a classroom, I was afraid. To me, one of my classmates could suddenly stand up, hold a knife, and run towards me, the foreigner. Because I was afraid of my peers, I did not dare to approach them and have a peaceful chat. I was a stranger, and many of my peers were belligerent and violent. Many of them lacked respect, and they kept themselves away from a stranger like me. They called me a robot, because they thought that my emotions were different from theirs. Some of them whispered that I did not know how to make friends. I was alone. To be more precise, I isolated myself away from those “monsters.”

When it was breaktime, my female classmates divided into small groups and chatted. I was not a part of any group. I was always alone, and was often busy doing homework and preparing for tests. My knowledge grew faster than any student in my middle school, but my ability to open myself to others ceased to grow since that day I was threatened with a knife. My mouth was always caught by an invisible force, so I couldn’t talk to anyone. When I see my middle school years through the perspective of today, I was certainly caught inside a stiff egg and did not allow anyone to enter my world.

Because I was caught, isolated inside my own world, the world seemed gloomy. Studying ensured good test scores, but I could hardly feel pleasure while studying. Contrary to my world, the world of others seemed too happy. My classmates were still beings to be feared, but they were laughing happily inside their own world. I was afraid of them, but I also envied them. So, when I became a 9th grader, I realized that I had to break my gloomy egg. However, until middle school, many students were so hostile that I seemingly couldn’t.

When I came to KMLA, small changes began to happen. There was only one person in my room before; but in KMLA, there were two other people living together. I did not know their names and where they came from, but it was obvious that I should not be afraid of them, because they were my roommates. I tried to be fearless of them; I tried to break the stiff shell which caught me inside a gloomy world. Breaking the egg was not that easy, but I tried as hard as I could. When the first semester at KMLA almost passed, I could tell jokes to others, and laugh with them.

However, I feel that my egg is not completely broken. I am sometimes afraid of something I cannot explain. I also feel afraid of some of my peers and cannot talk to them. I am in the stage of breaking the egg, but some pieces of its shell are still remaining. I wish to be free from the egg that caught me, and I will try continuously to break it. The egg “caught” me, but I will not let the egg to “catch” me.

댓글 1개:

  1. First Draft Comments:

    Wow. I have to say that this was a very intense read, and I was both shocked and moved. At first shocked by your experience, which is an extreme act of bullying that no doubt would traumatize anyone. For a girl to do this to another girl is strange and scary. Who was she and why did she do this are questions that immediately come to mind. You may wish to develop more details in a second draft, but perhaps that would detract from the theme of your story. But one theme that is prominent is bullying. How do “bullies” come to exist? Is it natural, or are they created by other bullies? I believe a mix of both, and the reason she targeted you was because she wanted to control someone in order to “cope” with something very wrong in her own life. What went on in her own home could be anything, but she was obviously a troubled girl who wasn’t happy. Perhaps she wanted to claim you as a “friend” in a twisted way that emotionally disturbed people can only do? Perhaps part of “breaking the shell” is learning to forgive the “monsters”? A quote some people believe in is – “they know not what they do.” Often, those who are bullied are pushed so far that they eventually want to become the bullies themselves. It’s a vicious cycle that is left unbroken in schools all over the world, and only recently is it becoming a true movement with “Pink Shirt Day” etc.

    Your essay also moved me. The tone and style deals with a heavy topic and “gloomy” story, but it also moves towards a conclusions showing strong glimmers of hope. It makes me happy to think that KMLA is a school where students can heal from the things they suffered in other schools where they didn’t get what they needed. I like to think KMLA has “zero” bullying, but we all know that this is idealism that doesn’t exist anywhere in any school, no matter how perfect it tries to be. That said, KMLA students are special group who learn to take care of each other. You are guaranteed to make lifelong friends and mature as an individual, and breaking the shell is what true education is all about. It’s not just books and tests and rules and teachers. It’s forming bonds and understanding the human condition in a challenging, diverse environment.

    Things to improve in a second draft? Not much. You write very well, but you may wish to soften your approach as to how you describe your peers upon coming back to Korea. Be careful not to be too extreme and general when describing a large group of individuals, and use “qualifiers” to leave possibility for 90% instead of 100% (in a figurative sense). Most apples are red. But some apples are green. Avoid saying “All apples are red” to increase your credibility. Towards the end of the essay you admit a paradox as to how you view your peers, both with envy and fear, and this shows us that some of the apples are green – which is how you slowly break from the shell to accept your peers as potential family. This is where the essay shows your maturity, and becomes truly moving. Wonderful development. All in all, very very impressive

    _________

    Second Draft Comments:

    The author is Herman Hesse? Just state his name, since leaving it out seems to be a bit of an oversight.

    All in all, not much changed from the first draft, and I don't really suggest much in the first draft comments. This is very good, and very balanced. It seems you can go further with the "girl" and answer more questions, but the true subject of the essay is "you" and your process of breaking the egg. That's a very strong theme, and the picture helps a lot. Wonderful paragraphs and immaculate attention to detail. This is what the blog is for and yours is one of the best so far. The fact that you wrote this essay in one class is also impressive. 828 words!

    답글삭제

Thanks for commenting!